St. Louis Internship Program Accepts GCAA Sophomores and Juniors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Each student who is in the St. Louis Internship Program received this handbook. The handbook helps students with things such as interview techniques and interview etiquette.

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke, Staff Writer

In late January multiple GCAA sophomores and juniors applied to participate in the St. Louis Internship Program (SLIP). The St. Louis Internship Program is a community based program to help assist students in financial need, and to provide intensive employability training until graduation. Students went through interviews, and a couple weeks later students were officially chosen. Summer training and the eight week long paid internships will commence, but as for now, participants meet on Saturdays for training.

There are certain standards students have to meet in order to stay in the program. It requires a 2.0 or better GPA, good attendance, good citizenship, and you must show some form of financial need.

“A student in good academic standing, with a good work ethic, and professional interviewing are qualities students represented to be accepted,” said Erica Snelson, college counselor.

SLIP allows students to network [in business], and it also benefits students in planning for college and their potential career.

“It also helps with resume writing, ACT prep, SAT prep, and just being a productive member of society. Networking is key, and [students] get practical hands on experience, to see what it’s really like, ” said Snelson.

Fields such as law firms, human resources, theater, doctors, and dentists are a few interests of students.

Sophomore Antonio Snow was accepted into the program on February 26th, and is interested in game design and business management. Snow feels this program will give an inside look of what job he’s interested in.

“Internships provide students with money for one, and two it provides them with a feel for the field they are going into. It would be a waste to spend six years in college and then go into the workforce and realize that the field you’re in isn’t what makes you happy. I can gain experience in my future career field, and I can also acquire new friends who can help me promote myself,” said Snow.

According to the St. Louis Internship Program website, 3,400 students have completed the program with over 98% of the interns graduating high school and going on to college or secondary training.

“Colleges will see that I already know the field, giving me experience over other applicants and corporations will see the same. They both also recognize I’m a hard worker because I completed an internship with praise from my employer.” Snow continued.

SLIP wants to leave an impact on students that consists of economic development, workforce development, and professional and personal development.

Snelson believes that this is an incredible opportunity for students because they hold the kids accountable for their actions, which is teaching them real life skills.