GCAA opens up spirit week with annual talent show

JeAnna+Peterson%2C+11th%2C+sings+%22Someone+Like+You%22+by+Adele+in+the+second+act+of+the+show.+She+was+awarded+a+prize+for+her+performance.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

JeAnna Peterson, 11th, sings

JeAnna Peterson, 11th, sings "Someone Like You" by Adele in the second act of the show. She was awarded a prize for her performance.

JuJu Veith

JuJu Veith

JuJu Veith

Elyse Luecke, Assistant Web Editor-in-Chief

Aca-Soul takes the stage stage first singing "Want You Back" by The Jackson 5. Aca-Soul is a student led A Cappella group which consists of Randy Thompson, 12th, JeAnna Peterson, 11th, Demarnesha Jones 11th, Rachelle Martin, 12th, and Shaquana Williams, 11th.

JuJu Veith
Aca-Soul takes the stage first singing “Want You Back” by The Jackson 5. Aca-Soul is a student led A Capella group which consists of Randy Thompson, 12th, JeAnna Peterson, 11th, Demarnesha Jones 11th, Rachelle Martin, 12th, and Shaquana Williams, 11th.

On Monday, October 12th at 6pm in the Sun theater, GCAA held it’s third annual talent show. Khiry Pugh, 12th, the host of the show, introduced the first act: Aca-Soul which is a student led A Cappella group, who sang “Want You Back” by The Jackson 5. Other acts also included Prather Pruitt, 10th, Chasity Johnson, 10th, and Bisa Adero, 11th, Deanna Bobo, 10th and Royce Martin, 10th.

This was the first year that GCAA decided upon a winner, for both the first and second act. Shaquana Williams, 10th, the winner of the first act, explains how she felt being one of the two winners.

“I was definitely shocked, I felt accomplished and proud of myself, it’s my first win that I ever had in the place where I feel most at home! It gave me hope.” said Williams.  

Williams performed “And I Am Telling You” by Jennifer Hudson.

Junior JeAnna Peterson, who sang “Someone Like You by Adele”, won the second act of the show.

“I was surprised and happy. I was glad I did the talent show because I thought about not doing it, but I’m glad I did. It was an unexpected turn out of how it went,” said Peterson. She spoke about how being in the talent show affects her reputation, and the impression that is perceived of her.

“I think that it will show people that I am serious about my talent and that I put effort into it because it’s something that I love to do.”

Both winners received a cash prize. The show ended with a performance by Royce Martin playing piano.