5 Easy Tips to Help You Stay Focused

Make+a+To-Do+List+to+help+visualize+the+tasks+that+you+need+to+complete.+As+you+complete+each+one%2C+cross+them+off+one-by-one.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

5 Easy Tips to Help You Stay Focused

Make a To-Do List to help visualize the tasks that you need to complete. As you complete each one, cross them off one-by-one.

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke, Assistant Web Editor-in-Chief

Many adolescents have a difficult time staying focused on a specific task due to the many worries that weigh heavily on their minds each day. Whether it be stress about homework, classwork, tests, a job, extracurricular activities, family, friends, a busy schedule, or other conflicts, it can be very difficult to concentrate on the task at hand. Here are 5 tips that can help benefit you when you are feeling as if your mind is drawn back to these worries that are sometimes unavoidable.

1. Do some breathing exercises. Breathe in through your nose for five seconds, and exhale through your mouth. This exercise can lead to a decrease in anxiety and an increase of oxygen to the brain which helps maintain a level of focus.
  2. Make a To-Do- List and prioritize. The most significant tasks that need to be accomplished go at the top of the list. As you complete each item, cross it off so your progress is visible. Doing this will clear your mind of clutter and will help remind you to start on your task sooner than later.
  3. Before you start, take a quick walk or run to release any physical tension and to build energy. Physical activity helps stimulate the brain and creates a deeper level of concentration.
  4. Take breaks wisely. Make sure that your breaks do not last too long so you won’t get distracted. Do something you enjoy, or rest.
  5. Put away anything that will distract you. It is very easy to get side tracked by electronics, social media, or other things that will quickly grab your attention.

Following these tips will help you complete your tasks in no time, and will help you keep track of your priorities as a very busy student.