GCAA holds 2nd annual Career Day, gives students a glimpse of the business world

Freshman+attend+Career+Day+on+the+sixth+floor.+Students+explore+different+career+paths+and+businesses+such+as+the+army%2C+Coast+Guard%2C+St.+Louis+Symphony%2C+and+St.+Louis+Public+Radio.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman attend Career Day on the sixth floor. Students explore different career paths and businesses such as the army, Coast Guard, St. Louis Symphony, and St. Louis Public Radio.

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke, Assistant Web Editor-in-Chief

Freshman students receive information and papers from ........ Students asked questions, and were provided with advice and basic facts about the particular field.

Elyse Luecke
Freshman students receive information and papers from McCarthy Building Company. Students asked questions, and were provided with advice and basic facts about the particular field.

On April 27th, 2016, GCAA held it’s second annual Career Day on the sixth floor for 8th grade through 12th grade. A few of the professionals who were present included counseling faculty from St. Louis Community College, founding principal of The Lawrence Group, Account Executive at iHeart Media St. Louis, Marine Science Technician from the Coast Guard, Director of Education and & Youth Orchestra at the St. Louis Symphony, and a journalist at St. Louis Public Radio.

Sophomore Josephina Hauf provides some feedback on the event.

“There was a wide range of jobs from the army to performing arts, and I think it was very different for everybody because they could find something that they were interested in or related to what they are interested in, and I think it was very helpful to students,”

Hauf said she was most interested in the physician that came from Washington University because she wants to be a doctor. Information such as the type of schooling required for a career in the health field was provided, as well as additional facts and details on what the profession entails.

Hauf also described how Career Day benefits freshmen or underclassmen.

“They could explore many different careers. They could go to the army, they could be a doctor, they could be a radio host, they could be a construction worker. There were so many different types of jobs, there would be something they would like more than something else, and maybe they could pursue that,”

She also states how this day benefits seniors as well, specifically with what conditions each work force would consist of.

Some students wished they could have had more time to explore all the different jobs and booths, as they were given thirty minutes in total.