UMSL Bridge Program offers ACT prep, post-high school planning

Back to Article
Back to Article

A stack of ACT test materials stacked on a proctors desk, moments before students began testing on April 19th.

Aurora Phillips

Aurora Phillips

Aurora Phillips

Aurora Phillips, Staff Writer

From October to March, ten GCAA students attended the UMSL Bridge Program. For two Saturdays a month, students participated in classes such as math, science, writing skills, career and personal development, and college prep.

These classes offered preparatory skills for the upcoming events that every high school student faces. Students were given the opportunity to acquire necessary skills regarding taking the ACT, applying to colleges, and securing a job after high school. The program had different things planned for each grade, however most classes revolved around college and ACT prep. According to most of the students, it was effective in preparing them for these things.

“They were really fun and helpful. It helps you prepare for college and they give you resources that you can use, and resources you can share with people,” said sophomore Lucy Ward, who attended the program.

MaLiyah McGruder, sophomore, found out about the program from some friends who were signing up.  She went into the summer program, which takes place for about three weeks. Some of the things that McGruder learned included how to write different types of essays such as college essays, argumentative essays, and persuasive essays. The program also gave the students insight on other subjects such as DNA, forensics, and diabetes. McGruder also learned quick ways to solve math problems in a short amount of time for testing.

“Going into it I wanted to have better test taking skills, like time, cause I’m a really slow test taker,” said McGruder, “and with the math section of the ACT, I need to progress my time, to go through problems faster. I have progressed my speed, solving the equations,”

At the end of the program, and they had a celebration for all of those who were part of the program. They met at the America Center and got to listen to guest speaker Jaylen D. Bledsoe, who discussed working hard and being successful, as well as other professors and students. There was a slideshow and video of all the work that the students had created in the duration of the program, and then they were given their graduation certificates. Ward said that she learned that it’s important to focus on the future, and that the program was very helpful.

“I found it very resourceful,” said Ward, “from giving us websites to use for help to letting us take a practice act. I would recommend it for more freshmen to start out in because the higher grade you are the more you will miss out on.”