Theater teacher Brandon Riley receives Arts for Life Award for Best Direction of musical “Oliver!”

Theater teacher Brandon Riley smiles for a picture. “I am honored and humbled to receive this nomination. I never go into production with the intentions of being nominated or receiving an award, I just try to produce the best show possible,” Riley said.

Alex Hopson-Whittier, Staff Writer

Theater arts teacher Mr. Brandon Riley was recently nominated for Art For Life’s award for Best Direction of a Youth Musical Production for the musical, Oliver! This citywide award acknowledges his significant efforts as a teacher in that field.

“I am honored and humbled to receive this nomination. I never go into production with the intentions of being nominated or receiving an award, I just try to produce the best show possible,” Riley said in his reaction to this achievement. “Theater teaches you so much about yourself playing other characters,”.

As a teacher, Riley is pressed on excellence in every aspect of performance. One way that he strives to be a powerful performer and director, is that he is influenced by everyone involved in his productions to sharpen his skills as a thespian.

“The sole purpose is to make the show live up to its fullest potential. I continue to try to get better by taking things that I learn from mentors and and cast members and apply them to how I work,” Riley explained.

He has been involved in theater for many years. There have been many productions that he has had a part in such as The Crucible, Guys and Dolls, West Side Story, The Wiz, and several others. Over those years, he has taken the time to hone his expertise as a thespian. He is elated at his consistent efforts to become better in the field of acting are being acknowledged by the masses.

“Just to be nominated is a proud moment for me. Just seeing that there are things that I believe in that are coming into fruition. The things that are in my core are starting to shine through and people are recognizing the work that I put into theater is a reward in itself”, he says proudly.

“Having people being dedicated to something that is bigger than themselves, bigger than their role – there’s something special to it. It’s very interesting. It’s magical to be able to communicate that to different audiences each night.”, Riley states as he admires collaboration in the process of creating a production.