GCAA holds second prom in school’s history: Enchanted Gala

Patra Patton takes a picture of a group of friends. (Left to right) Katlyn Miller, Nicholas Baggett, Chase Doctor, Caroline Knapp, Chloe Ward, and Maasai Rodgers, who are all in Calculus together, wanted to remember their times in class together.

Elyse Luecke, Web Editor-in-Chief

On the night of April 29th, GCAA held it’s second prom in the school’s history at the Windows on Washington venue. Students involved in Prom Committee developed the theme of Enchanted Gala.

Elyse Luecke
Seniors Antonio Snow, Abigail Gray, and Senecy Jackson smile for a picture as they enter the Windows on Washington venue. When asked his friends, Snow said, ” They’re always there for me when I needed them to be, they’re always fun, we can always hang out, but I’m just really lazy and never leave my house. But they force me to leave my house, so that’s fun,”

Elyse Luecke
Marissa Moore, Dean of Students, and Chanel Davis, senior take a selfie. When asked about Moore, Davis remarks that “she’s been very influential in my life these past few years. She’s one of those teachers or one of those people who come to you with a smile on their face. When I’m down, I know I can talk to her,”

Elyse Luecke
(Left to right) Juniors Marnice Davis and Indiya Monroe greet each other. Davis talks about how she designed the centerpieces for tables and where they got their dresses.

Elyse Luecke
Seniors Chanel Davis and Jadah McCaston greet each other, complementing each others appearance.

Elyse Luecke
Students line up and dance to “Wobble” by V.I.C.

Elyse Luecke
Juniors Simon Broussard and Lauryn Becker slow dance. “Overall, had a very fun time. It was a very good experience…I want to remember the difference between my junior prom and my senior prom,” said Becker.

Elyse Luecke
Junior Nadeya McMiller and senior Oscar Nshimirimana dance. McMiller jokingly mocks Nshimirimana as he is on the phone.

Elyse Luecke
Patra Patton takes a picture of a group of friends. (Left to right) Katlyn Miller, Nicholas Baggett, Chase Doctor, Caroline Knapp, Chloe Ward, and Maasai Rodgers, who are all in Calculus, wanted to remember their times in class together.

Elyse Luecke
Shane McDaniel, senior, just after winning Prom King. “I was just really proud of my school for supporting me in things that I’ve never done before, and they support the whole trans community,” said McDaniel. “I want people to know that they’re not alone, and they should stand up for who they are and not be afraid to come out as the person they truly are.”

Elyse Luecke
Dejah Farmer, senior, and Lisa Kaczmarczyk, high school principal, just after Farmer was announced Prom Queen. “People were saying, ‘Go Dejah!’ and that made my reaction,” said Farmer. She describes the best part about winning, “just knowing that a lot of people care about me and that I have their love and support- that’s a really good feeling.”

Elyse Luecke
Prom King Shane McDaniel and Queen Dejah Farmer pose for a picture after the win.