Gay-Straight Alliance changes name, welcomes more broad community with “Safe Space”

Tim+Kloeppel+introducing+himself+to+the+kids+of+Safe+Space.+
Tim Kloeppel introducing himself to the kids of Safe Space.

Natalie O'Dell

Natalie O'Dell

Brooke Schuessler, Staff Writer

Safe Space, formerly known as the “Gay-Straight Alliance”, has transformed the way they approach the idea of inclusion and diversity in their title. In addition to this,  Safe Space is now being administered by Tim Kloeppel, band teacher.

“We want to be more inviting to everyone. The name Gay Straight Alliance excludes trans, lesbian, queer, pansexual, questioning, etc. With a name like Safe Space, it’s inviting to everyone who needs somewhere to feel safe.”

The club’s main goal is to educate and reach out to the friends and families of those who are figuring out their sexuality and/or sexual orientation.

“Safe Space plans on making an anthem, making and selling bracelets, creating and performing skits, but most importantly we plan on spreading love and acceptance throughout our school.” said Kloeppel.

With a total of 35 students (20 high schoolers and 15 middle schoolers) are trying to make not just the school, but the a world, a better place.

Safe Space meets every Thursday from 3:30 – 4:30, in the band room (B111).