Art equipment stolen from room 300, investigation underway

The camera locker in room 300.

The camera locker in room 300.

The camera locker in room 300.

Kumari Pacheco, Staff Writer

Thousands of dollars worth of art equipment and technology has been stolen from room 300 for the second time in two years.

The newest robbery occurred either late August or early September of this year. Fred Bachman, who is responsible for school security, places it between six o’clock p.m. and twelve-thirty a.m.

“I reviewed the tapes for each day – and that was Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday – of that week,” said Bachman.

“I watched each exit…we have five different exits that go out of the building, and the only people or things that I saw go out of the building were the cleaning crew taking trash out to the dumpster. That information I turned over to the administrators.”

The equipment, though not yet recovered, is insured. According to Megan Clayton, Head of the Art Department, replacements have already been ordered.

“Finding a way to make our environment safe again is the biggest concern,” said Clayton, when asked about measures of securing equipment in the future. “Munguia just got backdrop stuff and we can’t put that away everyday, there’s no way, it’s taking her over an hour to set up. It’s just not feasible…we should be able to trust.”

Because of a pending investigation, Caitlin Munguia, an art teacher whose room is 300, declined to comment.
Information has been requested from St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department; this article will be updated when it arrives.