The Phoenix Elite: New dance team aims to bridge pathways

Nate+Branch%2C+The+Phoenix+Elites+Captain+and+creator%2C+teaching+a+step+combination+to+auditioning+students+on+the+sixth+floor.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Nate Branch, The Phoenix Elites Captain and creator, teaching a step combination to auditioning students on the sixth floor.

Brooke Schuessler

Brooke Schuessler

Brooke Schuessler

Brooke Schuessler, Staff Writer

The Phoenix Elite is GCAA’s all-new majorette step team. This group was brought together and auditioned by Nate Branch, senior.

“I created the team as a way for us to reach out to other schools and bring groups of people who would otherwise not know each other,” Branch said.

Stepping has been apart of Nate’s life since he was little.

“I knew the majorette style of dancing because I had family members that were on a team and would teach me dances

that I picked up pretty fast,” Branch said.

Branch is not a part of the dance pathway but was able to bring in a new style of dance to our school and bring together both dancers and non-dancers. Approximately 100 dancers came to the auditions, all coming from different grades and pathways. This is another chance for kids to move out of their chosen pathway, expand into another art, and grow in creativity and drive for all the arts.

“The mixed pathways don’t bother me one bit because I can teach anyone that can catch a beat how to step or dance,” Branch said about the interlocking groups

Branch, on the chair, teaching the majorette dance. He is standing on the chair so that all the students can see his arm placements

Branch has a few very specific plans and goals for The Phoenix Elite.

“My plans are to eventually find a new practice space outside of school. So that our team can grow.”

The team is currently practicing on the 6th floor.  That limits the number of members of the team to a relatively small amount, leaving Branch looking for solutions.

“Right now I’m in the midst of finding fundraiser ideas so that we can start to rent a place to practice every week,” Branch said.

Branch takes pride and talks highly of his team.

“My team knows how to bring it and brought the whole audience to their feet,” said Branch after The Phoenix Elite’s first performance in October.

The Phoenix Elite Has plans to travel to competitions and have their own shows. Information about that is not yet confirmed, yet Branch is ready for his team to grow and become a group that stays in the school’s history.  The Elites meet twice a week for rehearsal on Wednesday and Fridays.

“The team has been fun for me and I’ve been able to make new friends and meet new people. The Phoenix Elite will go down in history because people want to keep joining and coming to the shows and it’s just really fun.” said Jade Johnson, 6th grade, The Phoenix Elite’s youngest dancer.

About the Contributor
1 Comment

One Response to “The Phoenix Elite: New dance team aims to bridge pathways”

1. Jordan Collins (grad) on December 7th, 2017 11:46 am

I am so happy that new things are happening at GCAA. I would have loved to be apart of the team if I was still there. More and more I see that the school is steadily growing with new ideas. I love what you are doing Nate!! 💕 Keep on doingwhat you do best. 😊

• The Phoenix Elite: New dance team aims to bridge pathways

News Briefs

Colleges collaborate with dance department

News Briefs

A gifted adventure: Nobbe leaves GCAA

News Briefs

Green class entered in contest for recycling program

Students, teachers participate in lip sync battle to fund HERstory

Additional school days added due to extreme winter weather

High school students recognized for first semester academic achievements

Students and teachers collaborate on this year’s HERstory Museum

News Briefs

Middle school students progress to the National Spelling Bee written semifinals on March 9th

News Briefs

Courtney Young wins award for ‘Staff of the Year’

News Briefs

Staff members receive award for ‘Staff of The Year’