Fall art show encourages viewers and artists to find their “Identity”

Various+pieces+of+art+hang+on+the+wall+in+the+mezzanine+in+the+Sun+Theater.+The+theme+of+this+year%27s+fall+art+show+was+%22Identity%22.+
Various pieces of art hang on the wall in the mezzanine in the Sun Theater. The theme of this year's fall art show was

Various pieces of art hang on the wall in the mezzanine in the Sun Theater. The theme of this year's fall art show was "Identity".

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke, Managing Editor

A project started earlier in the year called, “Who am I?” set the theme for the fall art show, “Identity”. Students created sculptures of things or ideas they showed an interest in. This eventually led to more intricate pieces of art, like “Assante and Phone” by Everett Schoenke, senior.

Schoenke describes the Best of Show piece, where student Assante Pressley holds a phone, representing either a telescope to view the world around him, or the government watching him through his own device.

“I couldn’t think of one [a message] that was encompassing of both,” Schoenke said.

Schoenke describes his art as being very organic, containing more animals and humans rather than structures or buildings.

“Most of my art doesn’t really end up having a meaning, it’s just kind of visual vomit onto a page because I have all these images in my head and I just need to get them out… This was one where I actually sat down and was like okay I need to actually give it a message. And that was really hard,” Schoenke said.

Three judges provided their feedback on students’ work. Schoenke likes this process, as it, “…gives a sense of urgency in an artist…I think it’s a good incentive to have kids care about their craft, care about their art. So, I think we should keep doing it,”

The judges also named Izzi Jackson-Cameron, 8th grade, Best of Show. Kathleen Boesch, sophomore, came in 1st and 3rd for painting/drawing, honoring her Anxiety series and piece, “miscarriage”. Samantha Szever, senior, came in 2nd for the Disorder series.

This art show is significant because viewers were able to recognize the student behind the work, showcasing their personality.

“We are constantly improving. When I started here six years ago, we did not have the talent, the artwork to show that we have now.” David Spiguzza, art teacher, said.

The art department is preparing for the Spring art show, however there is not a theme.

“We’ll see some of the same things we had in this show, like Everett’s drawings. The AP kids will have a display…there will be more art work period, more variety. There won’t be one set theme, so we can pick and choose what we want to use.” Spiguzza said.  

Elyse Luecke
Liz LeSaulnier, David Spiguzza, and Caitlin Mungia prepare for the art show by labeling each piece with the student’s name.