Love, Simon is the LGBTQ+ movie today’s teens will love

Nick Robinson in Love, Simon. Used with Permission. Provided by 20th Century Fox

Kaitlyn Eckhard, Staff Writer

The screen adaptation of the Novel, Simon VS  The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, Love, Simon is about a high school teen named Simon Spier (Nick Robinson). Both the book and movie follow Simon’s struggle with his sexuality and the love story of him and the mysterious Blue that he has been messaging with. The storyline has a unique way of keeping you guessing.

The movie begins with Simon’s first email to Blue (Keiynan Lonsdale). He tells Blue all about his family, friends, hobbies. He ends with telling Blue that they have one major thing in common, they are both gay. This email was the beginning of their love story.

Throughout the movie, you see Simon trying to work with Martin(Logan Miller), who discovered his emails with Blue. He is trying to do everything in his power to keep Martin satisfied so that his sexuality won’t be revealed when he is not ready.

In the end, Simon’s secret is revealed and so are his efforts to keep his friends from being together to meet Martin’s demands. This leads to his friendships being challenged as well has his emotional strength.

This movie definitely brought tears to my eyes, especially when Simon finds out that his secret was revealed.

Robinson’s performance as Simon was impressive. He portrayed the character’s emotional journey very well. His skills really showed in the scenes following Martin outing him. The struggle of emotions that Simon faces were raw and accurately represented.

I felt that the cast selected was overall a good choice, and they worked well together. The connection between them was unquestionably exhibited in the movie.

Their performance definitely did not pacify the struggles some teens go through, but it was still a likeable experience. Overall, this movie was brilliant in many aspects and a great movie that represents LBGTQ+ teens’ realities.