Students participate in nationwide walkout to honor school shooting victims, advocate for gun law reform

Imani Smith, 8th grade, Patra Patton, senior, and Jorja McAfee, junior, pause for a moment of silence in honor of the 17 students killed in the Marjory Stoneman Douglass school shooting. Patton then listed how many students have been killed in each attack since Columbine.

On Wednesday, March 14th, GCAA was one of the schools throughout the country to participate in the March For Our Lives walkout. In this demonstration, students honored the lives lost in the school shootings since Columbine, focusing on the 17 deaths from Parkland Flordia’s Stoneman-Douglas shooting.  They also advocated for reform of gun policy.

In the walkout, Patra Patton, senior, gave a speech to the students commemorating students lost in school shootings and called for politicians to take action in preventing future shootings.  Afterwards, Imani Smith, 8th grade, read a poem she wrote featuring a student’s school day being interrupted by an intruder.