Student artwork showcased at annual show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kathleen Boesch, junior, sets up her display for her AP Art Studio portfolio project. In her project, she chose the explore how her upbringing in a Catholic school affected her upbringing. She does this by using Catholic imagery and stories into the paintings to symbolize her experiences.

Natalie O'Dell

Natalie O'Dell

Natalie O'Dell

Natalie O'Dell, Staff Writer

The Visual Art Department displayed the student work they deemed exceptional in the Spring Art Show, which was held on April 19th. The event exhibited the artwork of all grades from all of the many art classes.

Unlike the latest Winter Art Show where students submitted work surrounding a particular theme (in that case, “identity”), the Spring Showcase was an assortment of work produced in art classes and selected by the teachers to be featured in the show.

Students in the AP Studio Art class displayed their portfolio projects, as well as a printed artist statement explaining the “concentration” – the underlying concept or theme of the student’s collection. Additionally, AP Studio Art students stayed at their displays to take questions and comments about their work.

As with previous years, the event included an art shop to raise money for the visual art department. There was a variety of items to purchase, including prints of student art, and even pots crafted by David Spaguzza, Art Teacher. Students from Painting II painted flower pots that were auctioned off. It also included a screenprinting station, where customers could screen print designs of their choice. It was brought back from the Black History STEAM Museum because of its popularity.

Most of the event took place in the Sun Theatre. However, all work by seniors were displayed in the Senior Showcase in the lobby of the main building, including AP Studio Art portfolios. One of these students, Magnolia Mulvihill, senior, displayed her AP Studio Art portfolio featuring a series of photographs serving as self portraits representing herself in the different stages of her life. “It being our last art show, it was really emotional,” said Mulvihill.

“I would say its the best art show yet, for me…because I got to spend a lot of time with my friends, and all of the AP Art students had developed a really close bond over the year working together…I think it was a great combination of everything that we had worked on the whole year,” said Mulvihill.