Filed under Entertainment, Reviews

Netflix’s The Dragon Prince—a fantasy show for the family

Back to Article
Back to Article

Callum (left) and Rayla (right) in Netflix's

Callum (left) and Rayla (right) in Netflix's "The Dragon Prince." Used with permission.

Courtesy Netflix

Courtesy Netflix

Courtesy Netflix

“The Dragon Prince” is an American epic fantasy adventure computer-animated television series created for Netflix by “Avatar: The Last Airbender” creators Aaron Ehasz and Justin Richmond and produced by Wonderstorm. It premiered on September 14, 2018.

Courtesy Netflix
Runaan (right) and an elf (left) in Netflix’s “The Dragon Prince.” Used with permission.

The Dragon Prince follows step-brothers Callum and Ezran, princes of a human kingdom called Katolis, and moonshadow elf Rayla, on their journey to bring the dragon prince back to his mother, in order to restore peace between the human kingdoms and the magical lands of Xadia and prevent the oncoming war. The egg containing the dragon prince was stolen by the humans after they killed the dragon king, leaving everyone to believe that they both had been killed. Now, the fate of the continent rests on the shoulders of this unlikely group of friends.

The voice acting is actually really good. It surprised me, because a lot of American animated shows these days tend to have mediocre voice acting. It’s been a while since I could confidently say that English-speaking voice actors did a good job.

Courtesy Netflix
Prince Ezran and his pet Glow Toad, Bait in Netflix’s “The Dragon Prince.” Used with permission.

Not only was the voice acting a pleasant surprise, however–there’s also a deaf character, which is something that you don’t normally see in animated shows. It made me really happy to see some diversity among the characters, despite the cast not being ENTIRELY diverse. There is a black king and a black prince, though!

The animation, on the other hand, isn’t amazing, but I still think it looks good. During the fast-paced action scenes, the animation is so smooth and flows really nicely. During the scenes where the movement is slower, however, the frame rate is lowered, making it look choppy at some points. Overall, I think the animation is pretty good, though.

Courtesy Netflix
Callum (left) and Soren (right) in Netflix’s “The Dragon Prince.” Used with permission.

“The Dragon Prince” is a great show for people of all ages, and can be watched by the whole family. I definitely recommend that everyone give it a watch, especially if you’re a fan of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” or if you’re partial to the fantasy genre. However, this show is more than just a fantasy adventure; it’s action-packed, relatable, and funny. It depicts the corruption of power. It even deals with racism, albeit between humans and fantasy beings. Heavy subjects are often addressed, though they’re talked about in a fairly simple way so that small children would understand. It’s simply a fantastic show.

• The Dragon Prince
4.4

About the Writer