Concert Choir Prepared on Stage, Backstage was Troublesome

Concert+Choir+students+participate+in+daily+warm+ups+led+by+director+Kristine+Gage.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Concert Choir students participate in daily warm ups led by director Kristine Gage.

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke

Elyse Luecke, Staff Writer

Lack of preparation and concentration led to a rocky start for Concert Choir students this year. On October 28th, in the Sun Theater, choir students performed in the Fall Concert, gaining the opportunity to test their readiness and understanding of curriculum they have consumed so far. Concert Choir is directed by Kristine Gage and Camerata, who also performed, is directed by Wes Smith.
Although Kaylee Greenway, 9th grade, thought the concert was a success, she thought there were some points in need of improvement.
“I think the performances were really good, but behind stage, we can
work more on the respect for space and towards each other,” Greenway
said.
Behind stage, conflicts ensued. Arguments were loud enough to where it was possible for the audience to hear. This was due to the fact that the area where students were waiting was close in proximity to the audience.
“It wasn’t really loud, but loud enough that I could hear it through the doorway in the back of the Sun. At one point, one of the students’ voices rang out into the audience,” said Elijah Bivins, 9th grade.
These arguments were caused by the fact that students could not stay quiet. Students had trouble organizing themselves into a silent, straight line to get ready to go on stage to perform their pieces of music. This task was not completed the way it was originally planned. The more students talked and told each other to lower the volume of their voices, the louder they became.
“It makes me upset, but I realize how much more we can work, even if we think we’re already good,” Greenway explained.
Gabby Jordan, 9th grade, agreed. “I think the actual performance was pretty good especially for our first concert, but for our behavior backstage, and while we were in line, it was terrible. Too many people were talking and weren’t getting into their spots.”
Besides the few pinpoint areas of improvement of behavior and volume backstage, highlights of the night were also visible. On stage, students were in their correct spots, and sang through their songs they had been working on for the past two and a half months.
“The concert in October went well especially for it being our first concert together with new directors and students,” Gage explained. “I think after the first concert, we can improve on confidence on stage, and concert etiquette.”