Ariana Grande pleases listeners with fifth studio album “thank u, next”

Cover+art+for+the+single+%22thank+u%2C+next%22.+This+album+was+released+on+February+8%2C+2019+and+is+available+on+all+music+platforms.+Fair+Use.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cover art for the single

Cover art for the single "thank u, next". This album was released on February 8, 2019 and is available on all music platforms. Fair Use.

Republic Records

Republic Records

Republic Records

Kaitlyn Eckhard, Assistant Editor

Ariana Grande’s 5th highly anticipated studio album was released Friday February 8th, 2019. After the hit singles “7 rings” and “thank u, next” many people were excited to hear the singers next album, including myself.

I can definitely say I was listening with very high expectations of this album, as I am a fan, and I was not disappointed, and neither was the public. Singles “thank u, next” and “7 rings” have both spent multiple weeks at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored” peaking at number 2.  

Grande’s album begins with the song “imagine” which was released prior to the album, but not considered an official single. The song has a very dreamy feel that definitely showcases her high vocal range. Personally “imagine” is one of my favorites on the album.

She then goes to a more emotional and relatable song, “needy”. This song is definitely one of the most relatable songs on the album. It goes into the feeling of wanting to be needed and having issues related to doubting your self worth.

While “needy” is my favorite of the album, I definitely love the upbeat vibes exhibited in “NASA”. While the song is about needing space from someone, it definitely has a happier beat to it.

After “NASA” comes “bloodline” which was definitely a different sound for Grande. The song itself is very well produced with an upbeat trumpet as the instrumental, and her vocals very strong, even though majority of the song is spoken. This is definitely a song i find myself singing along to and enjoying very much.

The beginning of the next song “fake smile” samples Wendy Rene’s “After Laughter (Comes Tears)” and then goes into a very happy beat, which is ironic because the song is about not being happy and not fake smiling.

This song is definitely in my top 3 of this album. I think so many people can relate to “fake smile” because we have all not been able to put on a happy face when we are not happy. I think that is also why it is a fan favorite as well.

The next song titled “bad idea” has a style similar to that of Demi Lovato in my opinion. With the guitar based beat and strong vocals i found myself thinking it was very similar to something Lovato would sing. I personally loved to see Ariana play with this style and make it her own.

My least favorite song, however, is “make up” I personally felt thing song was made very quickly and with minimal effort and I could not relate to the lyrics. Her voice sounded great, but the song in it’s entirety was not a hit to me.

“Ghostin” however was an emotional ballad that covers the death of her late ex-boyfriend, Mac Miller. Like many others, I was definitely crying during this song as it takes you through the sadness she experienced in such a beautiful way.

While “ghostin” covered her past relationship with Mac Miller, “in my head” seems to relate to her previous relationship with Pete Davidson. The song is about creating a version of a person in your head, and the style of it reminded me of the 2012 Justin Bieber song, “Thought of you”.

The last 3 songs on the album are the billboard chart topping singles “7 rings” , “thank u, next” , and “break up with your girlfriend, im bored” . These three songs are all upbeat and are definitely some of my favorite singles shes chosen.

Overall, I most definitely see the hype behind this album. It is the most personal and cohesive album she has yet to create. While I didn’t love every song, I think everyone can find enjoyable music within this album.