Students and staff evacuate building due to bomb threat


Aurora Phillips

Students wait on the Cardinal Ritter football field for further instructions. This location was selected as a predesignated evacuation spot earlier in the school year.

Elyse Luecke, Managing Editor

In an announcement made on Wednesday, May 2nd by middle school principal Rebecca Irving, students were told to exit the building and make their way to the Cardinal Ritter football field [predesignated evacuation spot] down the street at approximately 12:20-12:30 pm. Students were to remain on the bleachers until further instructions were given.

“To make sure sure everyone was safe, we decided to evacuate the building and let the police go through the building to make sure nothing is going on. All of this was for safety precautions to make sure everybody was okay,” Gina Bell-Moore, high school principal said once students were seated on the bleachers.

Submitted by Travis Armknecht
After the building was cleared at about 1:55 pm, students and staff head back into the building. Students were called down for lunch, or early dismissal over the intercom.

According to school officials, a student overheard a peer make references to a bomb, then texted their parent about the comments made. The parent then put in a call to the St. Louis Police Department expressing her concern, but kept the identity of the student confidential. The police department contacted the school, to make administration aware of the situation and to take action. A team of about 40 police officers and 4 K-9 dogs inspected all floors of the building, including the Sun Theater.

At about 1:55 pm, the building was cleared and students were told to go back to their B6 class. At this time, students were also being called down to lunch and in some cases, for early dismissal.

At 2:45 pm, students were released to go to their B8 classes. At the end of the school day, administration met with staff to provide them with an account of what happened.

“School was disrupted for three hours, tests were put back a day. A lot of things were changed because of the somewhat anxiety of a joke, if that’s what it was. I have not found out from the police department if the child specifically said that they had heard someone say there was a bomb here, or if they heard some kids talking that there was a bomb somewhere… it could have been anything,” Fred Bachman, security, said.